Search engines are of increasing importance in today’s world. This is because many businesses are finding a larger and larger share of their sales come from online customers, rather than ones that actually show up to their brick and mortar storefronts. However, online marketing can be difficult to adapt to, especially if you do not understand the process, and what is involved. Let’s take a look at the whole process:
- How do search engines work? – Search engines work by taking the popularity of different websites and analyzing the different characteristics of the different people who visit the site. What is important is looking at their particular search terms. The search engines want people who use them to be able to get accurate information regarding their query, without wasting a lot of time. They have custom mathematical algorithms which can evaluate different statistics to paint a picture as to whether or not any given site is fulfilling its duty properly.
- How do the engines determine ranking importance? – There are a lot of different stats the engines use to determine the ranking. For instance, if visitors who first land at your site from a search engine spend a long time at your site, the engines are led to believe that the information or content at your site is fulfilling the needs of the person who found it. If they ‘bounce out’ quickly, that means your site didn’t help them, and the search engines will reflect that fact. There are literally hundreds of different factors that the engines look at, but your content is by far the most important.
- How to optimize your site – To optimize your site to get better rankings, you need to do research on the different types of keywords that your customers use to find you on the web. By then inserting these different phrases into pages or content on your web site, you can then boost your rankings.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR HIGHER SEARCH ENGINE RANKINGS:
- Ensure that your content is written for the user, not to receive higher rankings on the search engine. Ensure that you are not using any black hat marketing techniques.
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content. Make sure that your <title> elements and ALT attributes are descriptive, accurate, relevant to the content of the page and not flooded.
- Utilize static text links because it will help to increase the user friendly interface of your website.
- Don’t hide your relevant content in an abundance of widgets, flash videos, or any other types of rich media.
- Any text that you wish to be indexed should be standalone rather than embedded into images.
- Create fresh and innovative content on a consistent basis. A Blog is a great solution for this.
As you can see, there is definitely a method to the madness of search engine results and rankings. Learning about SEO processes and procedures can be a bit overwhelming, but extremely valuable to any business person, because it will give them the necessary knowledge to boost their rankings on the engines, which will assuredly lead to increased revenues.