The next step in optimizing your online presence during the COVID-19 crisis is quite simple and straightforward, but it might slip your mind.
Update your Google My Business listing.
Give your customers the decency of knowing if you are open, or if your hours have changed. Many businesses have forgotten to do this, and it is truly vital to the success of your business, especially at this point in time. Your customers must know when they can buy from you, or if they can at all.
In addition to updating your hours of operation, you must also consider doing a Google Post.
This is something that is displayed directly below your Google My Business listing, and it can be about a certain topic or event. In this case, it would be about how your business is dealing with the COVID-19 crisis.
If you are unsure how to update your Google My Business listing, or how to do a Google Post, continue on and follow the directions.
Updating your Google My Business Listing
This is a very vital part of your COVID-19 planning process. Communicating with your customers and being as transparent as possible, will earn you brownie points. Follow these steps to update your Google My Business listing.
- Log in to your Google My Business account in order to manage your listing.
- Click Info from the menu.
- Click the section that you want to change, then enter the new information in the box that appears.
- It may take up to 60 days to delete the information you’ve previously added. Information that is also publicly available or from other sources may not be removed.
- Business descriptions (editorial summaries or keywords from the web that appear next to your business) are not editable.
- Click Done editing.
Publish a Google Post
Now is the time to post about COVID-19 on Google. It will be displayed under your Google My Business listing, and it can simply explain to the public how your business is dealing with the crisis. For example, hours of operation, updates to how the location is being managed, etc. Follow these steps to create a Google Post during the COVID-19 crisis.
- On your computer, sign in to your Google My Business account. If you have multiple locations, open the location you'd like to manage.
- From the menu, click Posts.
- At the top of the page, choose the “COVID-19 update” tab. You can include the following information:
- Hours of operation and temporary closures.
- Changes to how the business operates, such as takeout or delivery only, call for details, or others.
- Updates to how the location is being managed as it relates to safety and hygiene.
- Requests for support.
- To get a preview of your post, click Preview.
- If you're happy with your preview, in the top right, click Publish.
- If you'd like to change your post, in the top left, click Back. Edit your draft until it’s ready to publish.
All uploaded media must meet the following size requirements:
- Minimum: 400x300 pixels and 10 KB size limit.
- Maximum: 10000x10000 pixels and 25 MB size limit.